Thursday, April 26, 2007

Passionate about PR

One thing I have discovered after all of my interviews is that PR firms are looking for employees who have what they call "passion." I love PR, I love the work, the people, the way the job changes everyday based on the varying needs of the client, but am I passionate about the job?

Honestly, I think passion is a strong word to use for college graduates. I truly enjoy public relations, but am still undecided on exactly which area of PR I will find the most enjoyable, such as healthcare, technology, consumer or hospitality clients. This is one of the reasons I am starting my career in an agency where I can work with numerous businesses of any type. I want to find my passion.

When I do get into the field, I want to work for clients whose products and mission I believe in so that I can be passionate about my work and about representing the company. In his blog, Kevin Dugan links to an article I found very interesting because it talks about how passion is necessary to be great in PR, because passion is what sells your ideas to journalists.

5 comments:

Victoria said...

i totally agree! coming straight from college i have ideas about what i might be interested in for the future, but i'm definitely not ready to choose one area of pr as my passion.

Anonymous said...

Meghan,
You are absolutely right. Passion about any job is important and you are also right that perhaps that is not the correct word to use for a college grad but for lack of a better word it suits.

It does remain to be seen which area of PR you will be drawn to work in and knowing you, I am positive that whichever field it is that you will meet it head on, and like you have with the rest of your life be the best of the best.

Anonymous said...

Meghan, I agree with you. Passion is a requirement to be great in most positions. I think one can be ok or even good without passion. But if great is what you are after, go for and maintain a passion for PR!

Suzette Henry

Unknown said...

I think passion is one of the most important assets of any job but perhaps the most difficult to attain. We all begin something we hope we love. Attitude is 90% of the game, and starting something with the intent to find your passion is the first step. I wish you so much luck!!

josav said...

A solid public relations strategy puts your brand in the forefront of the minds of the public-at-large, other organizations
and your chief target customers and stakeholders. This site provide various kinds of services such as Technology Public Relations,Crisis Communication,Oil & Gas Public Relations.