Sunday, April 29, 2007

Making the Transition

Three weeks away from my first day working in a PR agency, I am trying to prepare myself for the transition. As my ultimate goal is to land a job with the agency, assuming I only love the firm more after working there, I am very concerned with making a great impression and making them realize they have to have me permanently. One of my concerns at this point is getting the clothes I need to look the part. Despite working in an office as an intern last summer, the atmosphere was much more relaxed at NCR and my wardrobe is seriously lacking.

I found these internship success tips from the graduating class of an MBA program very helpful. I think it is very important to assimilate into the culture of the agency. One great tip I heard at RealWorld PRSSA is to pay attention to the lunch time routine at the agency. For example, if everyone goes out together or brings a lunch and hangs out in the break room then join in! Lunch is a great, relaxed way to get to know everyone and to give them an opportunity to learn a little more about you.

Another point that has been reiterated by many professionals I have spoken with is the ability to "manage-up." In other words, make your boss look good. Always be one step ahead of the game. Be supportive, but give your opinion respectfully as well. Any thoughts on managing up in the workplace?

No comments: