Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Dilemma of the Week

After receiving my internship position, I quickly informed the other five companies I was going to interview with that I had already accepted another position. Most were very understanding and wished me luck and asked me to keep in touch. One agency, who I was interviewing with for a full-time job, asked me to still come in as I was one of their top candidates and because they might not hire until August.

The interview went well and at the end I was asked if I would be willing to leave my internship if they offered me a position mid-summer. I told them that my accepting the position would hinge upon how well my internship was going and my other prospects at the time of the offer. The dilemma began when this agency then called me last night and offered me the position. I committed to my internship position over two weeks ago and really love that agency. Should I accept a full-time position over an internship, even if the agency where I would be interning is both a better-known company and fits my personality more?

If I knew I could have a full-time position where I am doing my internship, there would be no question for me that I prefer this agency, but this is simply not the case. I also feel obligated to honor my commitments, right out of college is no time to start burning bridges in the close-nit Atlanta PR world.

Any suggestions? I would love some input!

1 comment:

Elyse said...

oh meghan - life must be so hard getting an offer everywhere you go :P i know how you feel though it was like that for me last summer picking between internships. I say honor your commitment and hopefully get a job there later. It sounds like you feel more comfortable with your internship's company than this new one. Plus, if everyone loves you now - why wouldnt they love you come august if you have to apply to other places again?