Friday, April 27, 2007

Finding Job Openings

Here at UGA we have a great resource for part-time and on-campus jobs called DawgTrak. Finding an agency PR job was a totally different story. As I have mentioned, I found out about most of the positions I applied for through the connections I made at PRSA RealWorld. I also found it very helpful to visit the Web sites of the agencies I was particularly interested in. It is by no means an efficient way of finding open positions, but almost every site had contact information for an internship position

Also, I joined the UGA PRSSA this year which I found very helpful. PRSSA often finds out about internship opportunities that are not posted anywhere else. I also found the PRSA Georgia Internship Directory to be helpful and even got an interview for a full-time position based on their job listings.

Those of us who are just now entering the PR world are very lucky because the industry is booming! I found it very difficult to find an internship last year at this time, but the opportunities seemed to fall into my lap this year. The blog Forward has some great links to job posting sites and career advice for PR newbies.

1 comment:

Victoria said...

UGA students really don't realize how many fantastic resources that they have available to them. and i'm sure that this precedent is true at colleges across the country. i was actually able to find a job at the career fair, which is something that i always thought to be a bit of an urban legend. no one actually seemed to know anyone that got a job at from the career fair, but had only heard about it from a friend of a friend. its great that PRSSA was able to help you on your job search!