Thursday, May 3, 2007

Agency v. Corporate PR

I have known for a while that I wanted to start my career in an agency PR setting. Besides being highly recommended by almost EVERY practicing PR professional out there, I find agency life and having a variety of clients very appealing. I did the non-profit thing, I worked in a corporation, and now I want to move on and find my niche.

As I consider this transition, I become even more satisfied with my choice to start out with an internship. I know some of my skills need some real-world brushing up, but I know the basics and I know them well. Coming from a corporate background however, I do not have any experience billing my time, managing multiple clients and being accountable to multiple people, i.e. other than just my boss.

I really liked the ideas posted on the PR Girlz blog on how she learned to manage her time in the agency setting. In my crazy busy last semester I began making notes as the blog suggests. I make a column for each class, work, Creative Consultants, Campaigns (because this needed its own column), my job search and any errands I need to complete- say the laundry that's been piling on my closet floor. These lists kept me sane through March and April when I was probably busier than I had ever been in my life. It's good to know that I can apply my fabulous list-making skills this summer too.

No comments: